He completed a Master of Science degree at Polytechnique Montreal, advised by Prof. Le Ny, in 2019 and his dissertation was nominated to the excellence prize at Poly. Between 2014 and 2016 he studied Computer Science and Automation at the Engineering School of Centrale Marseille, France and received the Master of Engineering in 2019, achieving his double degree.
- Navigation systems;
- Embedded systems;
- Multi-robot systems, cooperative robotics, sensor networks;
- Positioning systems and especially Ultra-Wide Band;
- Motion planning;
- Performance Bounds and localizability optimization;
- Control engineering
My work is essentially on the automated
deployment of robot swarms using Kalman
Filters, sensor fusion and distributed architecture.
Localization aided by Ultra-Wide
Band (UWB) technology and synchronization
issues are also involved in my research. Motion planning
is important in swarm deployment due to the dependency
between localization accuracy and networks topology. I am
also interested in the integration and development of ROS (Robot Operative
Systems) code features to localize and schedule motion of
As teaching assistant
- Applied Maths and Control Practices
graduate courses for aerospace engineering master
students at ISAE-Supaéro, respectively with the teams of
Vancostenoble and Yves
- Signal Processing Practices and Laboratories
(2022-now) first year undergrad course at
ISAE-Supaero, part of the team lead by Profs. Jordi
Vincent and Éric
- Linear control - Automatique : Practical cases/
laboratory instructor (2021-now) a second year
course at ISAE-Supaero France, I am with the teaching
team of Pr. Caroline
- Active circuits - ELE2611: Corrector and Jury
(2017-2021) a second year course for Electrical
Engineering undergraduates at Polytechnique Montréal, I
am with the teaching team lead by Prof. Jérôme Le Ny.
- Linear SISO control - ELE3201 : Laboratory
instructor and corrector (2017-2021) a third year
fundamental course for Electrical Engineering
undergraduates at Polytechnique Montréal, I belong to
the teaching team lead by Prof. Roland
As research internship co-supervisor
- 2021-22 : Matthieu Borelle, from INP Grenoble, France, co-advised with Jérôme Le Ny, Internship topic : optimal trajectory computation for an UGV through dynamics programming in terms of positioning;
- 2021 : Malo Ruaudel, undergraduate student from
Polytechnique Montréal, Canada, EE department,
co-advised with Roland Malhamé, Internship topic :
conception of an embedded chess board using dynamic
programming and adversarial AI scheme (3rd year EE final
- 2020-21 : Dean Pretorius, from Stellenbosch
University, South Africa, co-advised with Jérôme Le Ny,
Internship topic : enhance the localization of a ground
robot through model predictive control.
J. Cano and J. L. Ny, “Ranging-Based Localizability-Constrained Deployment of Mobile Robotic Networks,” arXiv:2202.00756 [cs], Feb. 2022. Available: http://arxiv.org/abs/2202.00756
- J. Cano, G. Pages, E. Chaumette, and J. Le Ny, “Clock
and Power-Induced Bias Correction for UWB Time-of-Flight
Measurements,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters,
pp. 1–1, 2022, doi: 10.1109/LRA.2022.3143202.
Preprint available here.
Peer reviewed international conference papers
J. Cano, C. Chauffaut, G. Pages, E. Chaumette, et J. LE NY, « Maintaining Robot Localizability With Bayesian Cramér-Rao Lower Bounds », in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Kyoto, Japan, oct. 2022.
J. Cano, G. Pagès, E. Chaumette, et J. LE NY, « Optimal Localizability Criterion for Positionning with DIstance-Deteriorated Relative Measurements », in Proceedings of the IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Kyoto, Japan, oct. 2022.
Preprint available here.
J. Cano and J. Le Ny, “Improving Ranging-Based Location Estimation with Rigidity-Constrained CRLB-Based Motion Planning,” in 2021 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), May 2021, pp. 5758–5764. doi: 10.1109/ICRA48506.2021.9560750.
- J. Cano, « Synchronisation et positionnement simultanés d’un réseau ultra-large bande et applications en robotique mobile », Master’s Thesis, Polytechnique Montréal, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2019. Available on Polypublie site.